Best 5 Free Video Converter for Windows and Mac
With so many video formats out there, the need to have a tool to seamlessly convert them to a playable format for your device is now a necessity. Luckily, plenty of video converters have been developed, allowing users to easily convert videos into various different formats. Best of all, most of them are completely free to download and use. Looking for the best free video converter shouldn’t be a fuss. Here in this article, we’ve picked the 5 best Free Video Converters that will meet your needs. They are all easy to use, effectively to work on both Windows and Mac computer.
- Any Video Converter Free
- Freemake Video Converter
- DVDVideoSoft Free Video Converter
- Format Factory
1. Any Video Converter Free
Kicking off the list of the best free video converters for Windows and Mac is Any Video Converter Free. Like its name suggest, this free video converter software will flawlessly convert any video to whatever format of your choice, including MP4, WMV, MPG, AVI, ASF, M2TS, 3GP, 3G2, FLV, MKV, SWF, WEBM and many more. This freeware is also a audio CD ripper, which can help to rip your favorite audio tracks from CDs. It can extract audio tracks, sound or background music from videos, and convert audio files between different formats like MP3, AC3, OGG, AAC, WMA, M4A, WAV, FLAC, etc. Plus, it is a free DVD creator that allows you to create DVDs supported by most DVD players or TVs.
- Really easy to use free video converter.
- Support a wide range of video and audio formats.
- Allow users to add awesome filters and effects.
- Download videos and music from a host of sources like YouTube, Facebook, etc.
- Unauthorized attempt to install extra software during setup.
- The output format & device options are too complicated for beginners.
- Ask users to purchase the Pro version after each video conversion.
2. Freemake Video Converter
With over 93 million users, Freemake Video Converter is another really great and completely free video converter on our list. It makes converting videos a piece of cake between 500+ formats, including MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MP3, DVD, 3GP, SWF, FLV, MOV, Divx, Xvid, MTS, and more. Featuring powerful editing functions, this tool allows you to effortlessly cut, join and rotate video clips, eliminate black bars, add subtitles. Additional activities you can complete with this awesome free video converter software include: download streaming videos from YouTube, convert 4K and full HD videos without quality loss, rip and burn DVD/Blu-ray, directly upload clips to YouTube from desktop, etc.
- Intuitive user interface.
- Easy to use and no specialist knowledge is required.
- Ready-made output profiles for different devices.
- Provide third-party software during installation.
- Certain features are locked and require activation using a Web Pack.
- There are watermarks on the output videos.
3. DVDVideoSoft Free Video Converter
Free Video Converter by DVDVideoSoft is an easy-to-use and powerful application for Windows. Thanks to its intuitive interface to convert videos, and ability to change video quality to fit the storage space of any device, this program has millions of downloads and earned its place among the best free video converters of 2018. It can convert almost any type of video formats that can be found today, including MP4, M4V, AVI, MOV, MKV, WMV, 3GP, FLV, M2TS, 4K, etc. Also, this free video converter software can convert videos for any modern device, like Apple iPhone or iPad, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Amazon Kindle, and more.
- Very easy to use and fast conversion.
- Convert batches of videos with ease.
- It has the ability to merge several videos into a single file.
- The output formats are limited.
- Converted videos are watermarked.
HandBrake is a powerful video converter for Windows, Linux and MacOS. This free and open source video converter can convert videos between nearly all kinds of formats as a breeze. It also features preset options for a number of popular devices, including Apple iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Android devices. Besides, HandBrake has many noteworthy features, such as, customize precise encoding settings, apply special effects, enhance videos with filters, remark large video files, adjust frame rate, add subtitles, etc. Due to its robust features, effectiveness, and high quality conversions, you’d be glad to discover that HandBrake is one of the best free video converters you can use.
- Free and open source.
- Multi-platform supported: Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Support a large number of video formats.
- Limited output formats and devices.
- New users may take much time to get used to.
- Require some technical knowledge to max its potential.
5. Format Factory
Format Factory is a multifunctional free video converter for Mac and Windows. It is great for converting all popular video and audio files to various formats, including MP4, 3GP, MPEG, AVI, WMV, MP3, WMA, AMR, OGG, AAC, WAV, and more. Also, it does the job to convert images between different formats such as JPG, BMP, PNG, TIF, ICO, and Google’s WebP format etc. And this freeware can help you repair damaged video and audio file. It features a set of practical tools including a batch file renamer, audio and video file joiner, adding audio stream to a video. Typically, Format Factory comes in handy if you want to rip DVDs, and works perfectly with iPod and iPhone formats.
- Multimedia file conversion tool to convert video/audio/image/DVD/CD.
- Easy and fast batch file conversion.
- Multi-language support.
- Include unwanted programs during installation.
There you go, here are 5 of the best free video converters for Windows and Mac you can bet on. If you are looking for the most formats supported, best output video quality, and fastest video conversion speed, Gihosoft Total Video Converter will be your great choice. This all-in-one video toolbox can help you convert, download, edit, transfer videos in 1,000 formats with 30X faster speed and zero quality loss. If you’re considering online tools, then you can refer to 2018 Top 6 Best Free Online Video Converter, where you can easily find great web-based source to convert video and audio files to various formats without additional program installed on your computer.